EDWARDSVILLE – A wrongful death suit against Shell Oil Company alleges a former employee died of lung cancer after he was exposed to toxic substances throughout his career.
Lisa Budde, individually and acting as executrix of the estate of her husband Christopher Budde, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in the Madison County Circuit Court against Shell Oil Company, et al.
According to the lawsuit, Christopher Budde was employed by the defendant to work as a bus driver and pipefitter at a Shell refinery. The decedent’s father was also a longtime employee of the defendant. The suit states that Christopher was exposed to toxic chemicals by “take-home exposure” through his father as well as his own employment with the defendant. The plaintiff claims that this exposure led to Christopher Budde’s eventual death of lung cancer on Aug. 25, 2021.
Budde claims the defendant negligently failed to take proper action to prevent Christopher Budde from being exposed to dangerous cancer-causing substances.
The plaintiff is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 and any other relief the court deems proper. She is represented in this case by attorney Ted N. Gianaris of Gianaris Trial Lawyers in Alton.
Madison County Circuit Court case number 2022LA001051