Understanding Roundup and Glysophate
Roundup, a herbicide renowned for its efficient weed eradication, uses the active ingredient glysophate. In theory, glysophate targets and blocks an enzyme central to the growth of plants. Roundup exposure and exposure to its chemicals can lead to serious health issues including non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Possibilities of Roundup Exposure
Although Roundup uses glysophate as a key ingredient, its exposure is not isolated only to those working in agriculture or gardening. There are many unsuspected ways you could have come into contact with glysophate:
- In Your Food: As an herbicide, glysophate has been used extensively in modern agriculture. This means that it can find its way into the food chain, contaminating the produce we consume.
- At Work: For those working in agricultural sectors, landscaping, gardening, and nursery environments, the risk for Roundup exposure increases exponentially due to its prevalent use.
- In Your Home and Garden: Roundup is also commonly used in residential settings for weed control, exposing residents, particularly those handling the product, to glysophate.
Side Effects of Roundup Exposure
The side effects of roundup glysophate exposure can range from mild to severe, and long-term exposure can even lead to chronic health conditions. These could include:
- Skin and eye irritation
- Increased risk of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Respiratory issues
- Reproductive issues.
Noteworthy Roundup Lawsuit Verdicts
Recent years have seen a plethora of lawsuits filed against Monsanto alleging RoundUp exposure caused serious health issues, particularly non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
- In 2018, a landmark case awarded Dewayne Johnson $289 million in damages after a jury found that Roundup was a substantial factor in causing his terminal cancer. This amount was later reduced to $78.5 million, but the case set a precedent for future lawsuits.
- In 2019, Edwin Hardeman was awarded $80 million, later reduced to $25 million, in a federal glyphosate trial where he accused Roundup of causing his Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
- The same year, a jury awarded Alva and Alberta Pilliod more than $2 billion in damages, the largest verdict to date, though this was later reduced to $86.7 million.
- As of 2021, Bayer AG – which purchased Monsanto in 2018 – agreed to pay more than $10 billion to settle around 95,000 lawsuits in the United States alone, while continuing to assert that Roundup is safe when used as directed. However, thousands of additional claims are still pending.
How Gianaris Trial Lawyers Can Help
If you believe you are suffering from roundup exposure, allow Gianaris Trial Lawyers to shoulder your legal burdens. We will fight to ensure you receive the justice you deserve, providing experienced, compassionate legal representation every step of the way. Reach out to us today to discuss your case.